Dec 27, 2011

Lessons Learned After College - #7

Lesson #7: Similarities = Compatibility = Less Stress
Some people say that opposites attract. While that may work for some people, I have come to the conclusion that similarities are far more important. There is something refreshing and comforting about knowing that someone else truly understands you as you and can relate to you in more ways than one. Recently, I took the Myers-Briggs personality test and found out that I have an ISFJ (Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging) personality type. I took this personality test back in college, but I honestly can't remember what my results were, so I thought it would be fun to take it again. Luke's results also came out as ISFJ when he took it back in college. When I passed it along to my mom, she also had the same personality type. Two of the people who I love the most, and we have the same personality! Interestingly enough, ISFJs only represent about 10% of the population!

ISFJs are also referred to as Protectors because our primary interest is in the safety and security of those we care about--our family, circle of friends, co-workers, etc. We are characterized by an extraordinary sense of loyalty and responsibility. Instead of speculating and experimenting, we prefer to make do with time-honored and time-tested products and procedures rather than change to new. We value tradition and cherish family history. Our shyness and reserve is often misjudged and should really be seen as an expression of our sincerity and seriousness of purpose. We are willing to work long, hard hours, quietly doing any and every "thankless" job that others often avoid.

So while opposite personalities may work for others, I am thankful that I've found a husband who I can relate with on many levels and share little disagreement with.

Interested in knowing your personality type? Click here.

Tomorrow's Lesson: We judge ourselves on our best intentions, but others on their actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment