Lesson # 4: Give More.
Christmas is the season of giving, and the theme at church this month has been "Giving Christmas Away". It's been a great reminder of the importance of giving and all of the creative ways that we can give to others.
One thing I really admire about Luke is that he is a giver. He is always looking for people and causes that we can give to. It was actually one of the first things I noticed about him when we started dating. For our first Christmas together as a dating couple (back in 2007), instead of giving each other gifts, we decided that we would rather give to others, so we volunteered at a soup kitchen. We aren't gifts people anyways, so it doesn't bother us not to receive gifts. We still don't exchange birthday or Christmas gifts. Instead, we try to give memories to each other--a vacation, weekend getaway, or even enjoying a meal out together. The awesome thing is we don't miss the "gifts"! Luke definitely has more of a giving spirit than I do. Our marriage has stretched me greatly in this. When giving opportunities come up, we always talk about how much we'd like to give, and Luke's amount is always way higher than I had in mind. Over time, I've found that the more we give, the less I fret about it. I know that one of the reasons God placed Luke in my life is to help me become a better giver. I've learned that I can always give more--we can never give too much. God rewards givers, not hoarders. "It is more blessed to give than to receive." [Acts 20:35]
So, this Christmas, who can you give more to?
Tomorrow's Lesson: Children are the product of their parents--not their friends or teachers.
No comments:
Post a Comment