Dec 26, 2011

Lessons Learned After College - #6

Lesson #6: The Importance of Mentors & Role Models
We have all probably had at least a few people in our lives who we can look up to--people we've watched, wished we could live vicariously through, and gained wisdom from. I have many different role models in my life--most of them probably don't even know how much of an impact they've had in my life and yet many decisions I make are based on conversations I had with them, or actions I've watched them make. My goal for 2012 is to sit down with each of these people and ask them questions about their lives to learn more from them. Some of them I admire as older married couples, parents, or even spiritual leaders. I've noticed that more times than not it takes a moment of separation for me to realize how much I valued their insight or example. Some of my role models have already passed away. I hope that by sitting down with them, I will be able to learn from them before it's too late. Before the busyness of life gets to me, and I miss the opportunity in front of me to ask them the questions I've always wanted to know. I'll be sure to share these "interviews" on the blog when the time comes, but for now, I thought I'd leave with with a story about one of Luke's mentors: Coach King. He was Luke's cross country and track coach in college, and you can read the story here.

Tomorrow's Lesson: Similarities = Compatibility = Less Stress

No comments:

Post a Comment