Aug 22, 2011

Remembering August 22nd

Today marks 11 years since my Grandpa, Maynard Harrold, died. It's hard to believe that it's been that long because I can still remember that day just as vividly as if it were yesterday. That day was my first day of high school. Grandpa had been suffering from leukemia for awhile, and we knew the end was drawing near for him. I remember getting off the school bus, walking through the front door of our house, and having Dad tell me that Grandpa had passed. What a heart-wrenching day. Grandpa definitely left a huge hole here on Earth when he left. He was always the life of the party and would tell stories that we still try to tell today (about Hinshaw and the Honeyboogers), but somehow we just can't tell them quite the same. I feel truly blessed to have known him. In fact, I wish that somehow Luke could have met him. Even though he never had the chance to meet him, Luke has heard many "Grandpa Harrold stories," and almost everyday when we eat dinner, I know that it's a good meal if Luke says, "Mmm, good stuff, Maynard!" I've taught him well. When we were on vacation this year, during one of our meals, we were eating sweet corn. I told Luke how Grandpa used to put all of his eaten ears of corn on one of our plates and how he would try to get everyone to believe that we had eaten that much. I don't think these stories will ever fade with time, at least in my mind. Even though we were all sad on August 22, 2000 when Grandpa left us, we are SO looking forward to seeing him again in Heaven. I'm sure, even now, he is entertaining others up there with his stories.

It's odd how much things change in 11 years. Anne was only 8 years old at the time, and today she's starting her first day of classes at college! Life is moving quickly. Each August 22nd brings new experiences and memories, but I will never forget August 22, 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment